While at #TypeACon, Becky and I moseyed over to a noodle house for a late lunch/early dinner. After having a great time and pondering all manner of world situations we need to fix, we got our fortune cookies. I always save good ones. Today I came across mine in my wallet.
In my pre-con post, I stated five goals of things I wanted to achieve at the conference. I’ll put them here to remind you!
- Inspiration and courage to write even MORE from my heart, without feeling censored or that I have to please everyone. (though y’all know that will be hard for me to do)
- Friendships. I already call a lot of these people my “friends” but once a name has been put with a face and I’ve gotten a gut feeling, I’ll know that they’re TRULY my friends. In more of an acquaintance way than an OMGBFF way, but friends nonetheless.
- Ideas for growth. Whether this means by monetizing, getting a bigger sponsor or more freelance work, I want to grow. I want to make this work for me, I just don’t necessarily know HOW.
- A swag bag. Everybody always tweets about the awesome things they get at conferences. I’m hoping for some kick-butt stuff!
- Band Back Together information. There are several sessions geared towards group sites and newsletter production. I hope to take away (well, we BOTH hope to) great information to help us run BB2G even MORE successfully.
Until I ran across this fortune in my wallet today, I was kinda wishy washy on what I personally took from the conference. I know I enjoyed it and I know we, as Band Back Together, made some wonderful connections… but what did I take away from it?
I was thinking about the five goals I made while I watched the kid ride his bike in circles like a BMX racer, only shorter, and I realized I DID fulfill my goals. I really did. And I’ll tell you how.
- Inspiration and courage: Patti Digh told us to look around for “our story.” That can be anything that goes on in our daily lives, big or small. All the small moments together create the blueprint for our book, whether it’s written or just lived. We shouldn’t be afraid of our truth. Maybe our truth is easy and G rated. Maybe our truth has some dark spots and will make some people uncomfortable. The bottom line is, this is MY story. It’s MY site. It’s MY truth.
- Friendships: Oh, where to begin. I’m pretty sure I can’t even BEGIN to list all the people I met that I liked before and absolutely ADORE now. I’m going to leave some out, but here are a few. @2princessmama, @firemom, @evolvingmommy, @cecilyk, @robinplemmons, @allthingsfadra, @womanonajourney, @frelle, @guavalicious and SO MANY MORE I can’t even think of them all right now.
- Ideas for growth: Well, nobody handed me a million dollars to write about dish detergent or anything but I did get some great ideas on how to make my non-niche site even better… without having to find a niche. Which I don’t want to do. I like being multi-faceted because I AM multi-faceted. I know now that I pretty much can make my own fate. I can grow if I want to. I can stay this size if I want. The world is my oyster! (ooh, yuck, oysters = food poisoning = ER visit = bad)
- A swag bag: DUDE, DID WE EVER get a swag bag! There was so much goodness in the swag bag, I can’t even begin to name everything! But here’s the kid with a sampling of stuff. Thanks to ALL the sponsors, especially @ubisoft (wii games), @whonudelivery (delicious and healthy cookies) and @ovaltineUSA (uh, Ovaltine… and the kid SQUEED when I gave it to him).
- Band Back Together information: Yes. Yes. And yes. We got SO much inspiration, love and support for BB2G it’s overwhelming. People wanting to work with us, submit stories, help with outreach. It’s just amazing. So much excitement going on with the site… and so little time to do it all! It was exciting to see what all we learned for the site, especially from Katherine Stone (@postpartumprogr) in the Cause Bloggers session. She has such wonderful insight into wearing your cause on your sleeve and becoming the face of whatever it is you’re passionate about.
So see, I came away with more than I thought I did. I’m still processing it all and trying to sort through all the stuff in my brain (and on my dining room table). There will be more posts inspired by #TypeACon, I’m sure.
Now I’m craving Chinese food… if for no other reason than I need another fortune so I can make it happen.